Finally purchased my InterContinental Ambassador Membership
So I finally thought it would be a good idea to trial the InterContinental Ambassador membership. I have been an IHG Rewards Club Platinum Elite member for many years now, but thought I should trial out the benefits of the paid membership exclusive to InterContinental Hotels & Resorts.
Membership costs either $200 USD, or 32,000 Rewards Club points.
As IHG have had a 100% bonus offer on points purchases, I chose to purchase 20,000 Rewards Club points for $250 USD (for a total of 40,000 points). I could then pocket the balance after redeeming for the membership.
After 12 months, members can renew their membership for an annual fee of $150 USD - which easily pays for itself if you know you'll have at least one weekend stay per year.
You can join here.
- Complimentary weekend night certificate valid on the second night of a paid weekend stay on the Ambassador Weekend Rate. This can be booked via this page, once you have joined. From searching, it seems that the final rates shown will include the cost for two nights, however the second night will be deducted at time of check-in.
- Enjoy a guaranteed upgrade to a superior room at check in, each time you stay. Superior room is defined as one category higher than purchased. The T&Cs do have a long list of rooms at select hotels that you cannot be upgraded into - like the exclusive Presidential Suite at the InterContinental Adelaide. I have always wondered what they do when the next room category is solidly booked out, though I don't think I am willing to give this a try. Note that you won't be granted club privileges if you are upgrading from a non-club room.
- Enjoy 4 pm late check out, as well as a choice of refreshments on arrival, in-room welcome gift, and fresh mineral water. Additionally, you will receive one complimentary pay TV film per stay, and a newspaper delivered daily.
- Automatically enrolled in the IHG® Rewards Club, earning Elite Status (e.g. Gold if you have no status, and maintenance of your Platinum or Spire membership for another year if you are already at this level).
- Free breakfast for member only at select hotels.
One of the benefits used to be 5,000 Rewards Club points - though this seems to have disappeared and is no longer mentioned on their website. Though I am currently on one of IHG's Accelerate Promos that gives you 5,000 Rewards Club points for joining, so I will still receive these (no double dipping, unfortunately).
Supposedly members can select what type of refreshment they want to receive, with a choice of sweet snack, savoury snack or fruit, in their member account stay preferences prior to arrival. However I have done a search for this option and cannot find it anywhere. I did private message the IHG Rewards Club team about this, but they just want me to call up (which I hate).
According to the new electronic card that is shown on my IHG app, my membership will be valid until 31/08/18 - great seeing as I have purchased it early July! The weekend certificate is for a year from the date of issue, and I should receive this within 6-8 weeks.
Looking forward to trying out the benefits of the program at a stay somewhere soon.