Get Elite Status with Avis, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt, without even hiring a car
This article explains how you can quickly gain elite status with Avis, Hertz, Sixt and Europcar, for no more than US$165 - all without hiring a car.
So, how can I receive elite status with Avis, Hertz, Sixt and Europcar without frequent car hire?
I have never 'earned' elite status with any car hire company. I hire a car about 3- 4 times per year on average, which would not be enough to secure elite status with any of these companies. Despite this, I have elite status with each of them:
- Avis (President's Club)
- Hertz (Gold Plus Rewards President's Circle)
- Sixt (Platinum)
- Europcar (Privilege Executive)
How? Through affiliate arrangements with hotel groups or airlines:
- Gold Status with Air Berlin lets you acquire Sixt Platinum membership; and
- GoldSmith membership with Mr. and Mrs. Smith lets you acquire Avis President's Club membership.
I took the status that I 'acquired' through those programmes, and then did a status match with the other two hire car companies - Hertz and Europcar.
While you theoretically could do so, I absolutely do not recommend that you do a status match with all the car hire companies in the same year. Your elite membership with Avis, Hertz and Europcar will expire. If you only hire a car a few times a year, you will not be able to take advantage of most of these memberships and the elite benefits that they offer.
If you have elite membership with an airline like Air Berlin, you can get elite membership with Sixt and Europcar pretty much straight away. But if you're starting from scratch, you can follow the order outlined below and drive away with elite status with all four of these car hire companies:
Year 1: Avis
Start with Avis. You can aquire elite status at President's Club level for a maximum of US$165:
- Enrol for free with Avis Preferred
- Join ASMALLWORLD. There is a US$105 fee, and they may take a few days to accept your application.
- Once accepted, search the ASMALLWORLD website for the Mr and Mrs Smith offer. You will need to pay to join Mr and Mrs Smith at SilverSmith level (US$60, GBP£40, AU$60) and use the promotional code provided to you by ASMALLWORLD. You will be upgraded to Mr and Mrs Smith Gold.
- Completed the above? Email Avis, quoting your Avis Preferred number and your Mr and Mrs Smith membership number. They will automatically upgrade your status to Avis Preferred President's Club.
You'll then receive your President's Club membership card and welcome letter, like mine below:
Year 2: Hertz
A few months before the end of your membership year with Avis, you should look to match your Avis Preferred President's Club membership with Hertz. Thankfully, it is super easy:
- Enrol for free with Hertz Gold Plus Rewards.
- Follow the instructions on this page and request the status match using your Avis President's Club details. You'll match straight to Hertz Gold Plus Rewards President's Circle.
Year 3: Sixt
A few months before the end of your membership year with Hertz, you should look to match your President's Circle membership with Sixt. This one is also easy:
- Enrol for free with Sixt.
- Email Sixt. Quote your Sixt membership number, attach a screenshot of your Hertz profile (or membership card), and ask for a status match. They should reply within a couple of days to confirm that you have been matched to Sixt Platinum.
Sixt seems to have no expiry date on their elite membership (I acquired mine years ago and it has never been downgraded) so this is one that you'll likely get to keep for life.
Year 4 (or at least once you have Sixt Platinum): Europcar
Europcar is where you can potentially recoup some of the US$165 that you spent to acquire the Avis Preferred President's Club membership. You can status match between Sixt and Europcar at any time once you safely have your Sixt Platinum card:
- Enrol for free with Europcar Privilege Club
- Email Europcar. Quote your Europcar Privilege Club membership number, attach a screenshot of your Sixt profile (or membership card), and ask for a status match. They should reply within a couple of days to confirm that you have been matched to Europcar Privilege Executive (at least).
- Depending on what country you are in (we are in New Zealand), you may eventually receive an email confirming that you have one free weekend hire certificate. We used that for a quick getaway to New Plymouth. Two free nights of car hire!
You can acquire elite status with four different hire car companies without even stepping foot in a hire car - for no more than US$165, and the potential to earn some of that back once you match with Europcar. You can enjoy elite car hire benefits including cheaper rates, free upgrades, and guaranteed availability - all usually reserved for those who work for the big corporates and spend thousands on car hire every year.
Here is the welcome letter and membership card I received with my new Avis President's Club membership - and I have only ever hired a car with Avis once:
If you need any help with these instructions, or you've lucked out somewhere along the line, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com.